Applications for The Service Club of Chicago Grant Awards are accepted no earlier than December 1 and postmarked no later than January 15 of each year.
NOTE: Applications for grant awards shall be limited to non-recurring expenses not otherwise covered in the agency’s normal operating budget. We will not consider requests for financing operating expenses, building funds, salaries, or rent/mortgage payments. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All applicants must provide written evidence of financial stability and documentation of their own non-profit status issued by the State of Illinois as well as the latest 990 filing with the IRS which must be current. All applicants must provide 501(C)(3) tax exempt status, must have been in operation no less than three years, and must provide financial statements as required by the Internal Revenue Service.
The application package must include at least two bids for this request (exceptions may apply). The Service Club of Chicago will disburse grant awards directly to the supplier and not to the agency.
Grant Recipients from the preceding year are not eligible to apply for the following 3 consecutive calendar years, However, if you were denied in the preceding year you may apply in the current year. For example, in 2022 only agencies granted in 2018 and earlier can be considered.
It is our policy to award grants only to philanthropic organizations that serve the greater Chicago area, and can demonstrate evidence of financial soundness and responsibility satisfactory to the Philanthropic Committee of the Service Club of Chicago, so applicants’ central office must be within a 25-mile radius of The Service Club Office at 233 East Erie, Chicago, Illinois. Members of the Philanthropic Committee will visit the facilities of first-time applicants and applicants that have not been visited within the past five years.
Please return ONLY the completed application and requested information. Do not include organizational brochures, newspaper articles, etc. Those types of materials may be distributed by your organization during the interview/presentation or on-site visit to your facilities.
Application and Review Schedule (approximate, except for application acceptance dates):
- Complete the online application from December 1 – January 15 (no exceptions). Online applications are time-stamped.
- A member of the Philanthropic Committee will call to schedule Interviews and/or on-site visits (as COVID restrictions allow): End of January
- Interviews and/or on-site visits (as COVID restrictions allow): February through Early May address of on-site visit must be submitted with application
- Committee Decision: June
- Awarding of Grants: June- grant recipients will be invited to the award reception
- Once your online application is completed, a confirmation email with a copy of your application will be sent to you. Please send the 3 paper copies of this completed application along with 1 copy of each supporting document (2 Vendor Quotes for each item requested, Latest IRS tax filing, Latest full year of audited financials or CPA reviewed financial statement, Current tax-exempt certificate from the Internal Revenue Service, and List of members of the governing board staff and directors) to:
The Service Club of Chicago
Attention: Philanthropic Chairman
233 East Erie – Suite 405 Chicago, IL 60611
These items may be mailed, or you may choose to drop them off at The Service Club office. Whichever carrier you choose, please mark your packages “leave without signature.” We have no paid staff at the office during the business day to accept packages. Questions may be left at the Service Club voice-mail phone (312) 220-9600.